Are you a fiction or genre writer looking to take your craft to the next level? Join DIY MFA, where founder Gabriela Pereira empowers writers to succeed in their chosen genres with their unique approach to teaching.
In this episode, our guest Gabriela Pereira will debunk some writing myths about whether you need an MFA to be a good writer and help you develop a stronger foundation for success in your chosen genres.
DIY MFA provides a space for self-starters who want to learn and succeed in their chosen genres. – Gabriela Pereira
In this episode, you'll be able to:
- Understand how DIY MFA homes in on fiction and genre writers, opening up new avenues of storytelling and engagement.
- Gain insights into the unique analytical techniques taught by DIY MFA, geared towards enriching your literary perspective and writing abilities.
- Recognize the convenience and adaptability of DIY MFA's courses, designed to accommodate diverse interest levels and schedules.
- Uncover the smooth enrollment procedure and the ready accessibility of DIY MFA's courses, bringing superior writing instruction to your doorstep.
- Grasp the fundamental values of this program and their indispensable part in guiding your literary journey, inspiring originality, and enhancing your narrative capacity.
DIY MFA's distinct focus on genre and fiction writers
Gabriela Pereira's program provides unique support for genre and fiction writers. The organization stands out by working to fill the gap often left by traditional MFA programs, which typically exclude specialization in genres like romance or cozy mystery. This distinct focus ensures these writers receive the guidance and resources they need to excel in their craft.
- DIY MFA helps genre and fiction writers to learn the strategies and techniques peculiar to these writing genres.
- Unveil the reading strategies and analytical tools taught by DIY MFA, aiming to empower and streamline your writing process.
- Get familiar with the tailored adaptability and ease-of-access of DIY MFA's courses, facilitating writing education tailored to your needs.
00:01:17 – The Beginnings of DIY MFA,
Gabriella shares the story of how DIY MFA started as an idea after her graduation from a traditional program. She explains how the concept gained traction through a blog post and an experiment in September 2010, and how it eventually grew into a business model.
00:06:03 – Taking an Entrepreneurial Approach,
Alexa and Gabriella discuss the importance of taking an entrepreneurial approach to writing and how DIY MFA helps writers do just that. They highlight the opportunities that have arisen due to the boom in self-publishing and the need for writers to build their own author platforms.
00:08:01 – The Three Components of DIY MFA,
Gabriella explains the three components of DIY MFA: writing with focus, reading with purpose, and building a community. She discusses how DIY MFA addresses both the craft and motivation/productivity aspects of writing, as well as the importance of reading widely and strategically.
00:13:56 – DIY MFA's Focus on Fiction Writing,
DIY MFA primarily focuses on fiction and memoir writing, providing resources and courses for writers with a narrative or storyline. However, they also welcome poets, essayists, and genre fiction writers who are often overlooked by traditional programs.
00:15:12 – Meeting the Needs of Genre Writers,
DIY MFA recognizes the lack of MFA programs that specialize in genre fiction writing. They aim to fill this gap by offering resources and instruction specifically tailored to genre writers, helping them improve their craft and find the support they need.
Learn more at:
Visit the DIY MFA website: This is the official website of Gabriela Pereira's program. Here, you can find information about the program, including courses, resources, and community opportunities.
Check out the DIY MFA book: Gabriela Pereira is the author of DIY MFA: Write with Focus, Read with Purpose, and Build Your Community. This book is a comprehensive guide to creating your own experience and is available for purchase on various online platforms, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.