In this episode of the PublishHer Podcast, host Alexa Bigwarfe interviews Emily Myers, an author who delves into romantic suspense, mafia romance, and poetry. Emily's writing journey, from her initial struggles with contemporary romance to finding her niche in mafia romance, sheds light on the importance of personal growth and healing in creative pursuits. Her recent poetry collection, “I Still Have Love to Give,” serves as a powerful outlet for emotional healing and offers support and inspiration to others facing similar experiences.
Uncover the unexpected journey of a mafia romance author's poetic release as a healing outlet. Listen in as Emily A. Myers, renowned for romantic suspense, sheds light on her surprising foray into a world of heart-wrenching poetry. Join us as she unveils her intense emotional journey and the creative healing process behind her latest book, I Still Have Love to Give. Stay tuned for the gripping tale of personal growth and artistic evolution. Will this unexpected detour lead to a new wave of inspiration that transcends genres? Find out how Emily's poetic pursuit intertwines with her captivating storytelling in this intriguing rollercoaster of emotions.
“I just naturally write poetry when I'm going through really intense things. That's how I process.” – Emily Myers
- Explore different genres to expand your writing skills and find your unique voice in the literary world.
- Harness the intrigue and passion of the Mafia romance genre while understanding its marketability in the publishing industry.
- Discover the potential of poetry as a powerful tool for personal healing and emotional expression.
- Overcome the marketing challenges specific to nonfiction poetry and effectively promote your work to a wider audience.
- Embrace the importance of personal growth and find your niche as a writer to stand out in the competitive literary landscape.
00:00:55 – Emily's Writing Journey
Emily Myers shares her journey from wanting to be an author since middle school to publishing her first book, “The Truth about Unspeakable Things,” and venturing into mafia romance.
00:05:36 – Writing Poetry as a Healing Process
Emily discusses how she uses poetry to process intense emotions, leading to the creation of her poetry collection “I Still Have Love to Give,” which reflects her experiences with divorce and heartbreak.
00:09:11 – Marketing a Poetry Collection
Emily talks about her marketing plan for the poetry book, reaching out to consistent reviewers and finding readers who resonate with the themes of healing, heartbreak, and self-discovery.
00:13:29 – Using Social Media for Book Promotion
Emily shares her experience of using TikTok to create a book club and share insights from a self-help book, highlighting the potential for connecting with similar audiences and building engagement.
00:16:20 – The Healing Power of Writing
Emily discusses how writing helped her heal during a dark time, emphasizing the importance of personal growth alongside the creative journey.
00:22:00 – Finding Her Genre: Mafia Romance
Emily shares her fascination with mafia history and how it influenced her decision to write mafia romance. She highlights the flexibility within the genre and her plans to incorporate variety in her series.
00:27:35 – Milestones and Goal-Setting
Emily reflects on achieving her goal of publishing five books by the age of 30, expressing excitement for her upcoming steamy mafia romance, “Mind to Tease”.
00:30:09 – Series Planning and Time Jumps
Emily reveals the natural progression of her series and the decision to incorporate a time jump, providing a glimpse into her interconnected arc for the upcoming books in the series.
00:33:25 – Inspirational Conversations
Emily and Alexa discuss how their conversation has inspired them. Emily shares her website and where her books can be found, and teases her next release coming in 2024.
00:34:00 – Where to Find Emily's Books
Emily directs listeners to her website and Amazon for her books. She also hints at a new release in 2024 and encourages people to follow her on Instagram for updates.
00:34:35 – Meeting in Person
The hosts discuss the possibility of meeting in person in Vegas for an Author nation Conference. They talk about potential dates and express excitement about a potential meeting.
00:34:54 – Wrapping Up
The hosts thank each other for the conversation and discuss future plans to meet in person. They express gratitude for the episode and sign off with thanks to the musician Jasmine Commerce for the podcast's theme song.
Learn more at:
- Grab your ticket to the Women in Publishing Summit at womeninpublishingsummit.com to join the virtual event and access pre-conference events, post-conference events, and year-round offerings.
- Share the podcast to help it reach more people and provide support to those who may benefit from the content.
- Rate the podcast to help increase its visibility and reach a wider audience.
- Check out upcoming events and join the Women in Publishing Summit community for monthly free webinars and other training at womeninpublishingsummit.com/events.
- Join local writing groups in your state or city to find a community of like-minded individuals who can support you through your writing and publishing journey.